The World Association of Investment Promotion Agencies (WAIPA) was created in 1995. It was established as an Association under Swiss law. It has been registered in Geneva, as a non-governmental organization. From its very inception, WAIPA has represented an ever growing number of Member agencies. Through its wide range of activities, WAIPA provides the opportunity for investment promotion agencies (IPAs) to network and exchange best practices in investment promotion. WAIPA has always dedicated, and continues to dedicate, time and effort towards building the human resources capacity of its Member agencies. Training events have been organized by WAIPA, alone or in coordination with partner organizations. Membership is open to all entities the primary function of which is “to promote any country, political sub-division of a country or other uncontested territory, as a destination for, or source of investments”.
In our brochure you can find more information on membership benefits and requirements. Since 2017 the WAIPA office also features a training center. Read more about the training center and the opportunities it offers to members in the Training Center Brochure .
The objectives of WAIPA, as broadly reflected in the Association’s Statutes, are to:
- Promote and develop understanding and cooperation amongst IPAs.
- Strengthen information gathering systems, promote the efficient use of information and facilitate
access to data sources.
- Share country and regional experiences in attracting foreign investment and enhancing outward
- Assist IPAs in advising their respective governments on the formulation of appropriate
investment promotion policies and strategies.
- Facilitate access to technical assistance and promote training of IPAs.
WAIPA partners can be international organizations, multilateral agencies or other non-governmental organizations (with local or international focus), think tanks, consultancies and universities. Partnerships with WAIPA are established based on mutual needs, in terms of WAIPA events, WAIPA training activities and/or WAIPA’s technical assistance efforts. Technical assistance and training initiatives are generally conducted in coordination with, or with the support of, WAIPA partners.
Generally, WAIPA seeks to coordinate its efforts with the organizations that are members of its Consultative Committee, which are:
- International Economic Development Council (IEDC)
- Organisation for Economic Co-Operation and Development (OECD)
- United Nations Conference on Trade and Development (UNCTAD)
- United Nations Industrial Development Organization (UNIDO)
- International Labor Organization (ILO)
- International Chamber of Commerce (ICC)
- World Bank Group (WBG)
Benefits include networking opportunities, participation in WAIPA events, WAIPA training activities and access to the dissemination of content identified by WAIPA as relevant to its Member agencies.
- The On-Line WAIPA NewsFlash (A bi-monthly e-mail distribution with a re-cap of past activities & upcoming initiatives)
- The WAIPA Annual Report of Activities
- WAIPA WIC Facts and Figures
- WAIPA activities, Surveys, Publications of Interest and Institutional Matters